Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Curiosity {Wordless Wednesday - 4/6}

Sorry I'm so late with this. I've been pretty sick the last couple of days. Sure does explain why I need to start writing mt posts ahead of time and scheduling them!

I had to get on and make this post, though, because Natural Parents Network was kind enough to add my photo to their Wordless Wednesday this week based on the theme, "Poetry & Prose". Please go over and check out all of the great photos on their Wordless Wednesday post this week!

Some of you may remember this photo from a previous post, It's the Journey, Not the Destination, about the importance of enjoying the trip with your children and not always focusing on where you're going. I had to use it again here because it is such a great example of childhood curiosity and reminds us that we, too, can still be curious. Please take a moment to read the poem, "Curiosity" by Doreen Ellis, below.
Curiosity Children start along the path of learning and of growth -
Their minds like sponges drinking in right from the time of birth.
Thirst for knowledge built within however small they be;
With age some of us soon forget our curiosity.


Question here and question there; they know they must enquire -
’Tis “how?” and “why?” and “where?” and “when?” until the grownups tire.
This brings on discouragement for questions still arise;
They turn to others like themselves and peers may be unwise.


We answer questions when they’re asked unless we do not know;
Then seek the answer – concentrate – and let our interest show.
We tell the child we do not know – we, too, would like to be
Aware of how to look for things – together, we will see.


Children grow and grownups, too, will age like best of wine;
When curiosity lives on, our days with love, combine
To help them start along the path of learning and of growth -
The quest for life’s vicissitudes will quench their thirst for both.

Doreen (Adams) Ellis

5 comments:

Momma Jorje said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Visiting from Natural Parents Network and Momma Jorje!

Lovely photo! My Sasha was featured on NPN, too.

Kat said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Lovely poem and great photo!

I Thought I Knew Mama said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Love this poem!

An Oasis in the Desert said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Great photo and wonderful poem. Feel better!
CAS

Unknown said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@CAS

I've been trying to comment on your blog but I can't. I can't click on anything on there, only read what comes up on your homepage. I don't know if it's just me or if others are having the same problem. Just thought I'd try to let you know.