Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mindful Parenting Collaboration - Topic 4: Partners in Parenting

If you’re reading this, you might have the feeling that you want to change some of your parenting practices or, perhaps, you're curious about “mindful parenting” and what it could be. Well, congratulations for taking a moment from your day to click on the link. Erin of it’s OK and I are going to be working together over the next 40 weeks (!) on a journey toward more mindful parenting and would love to have you join us. To learn how we envision The Mindful Parenting Collaboration working, please read the introductory post HERE.


The relationship between a child's parents can have a huge effect on that child's emotional stability. Whether you are married, living together, separated, or divorced - it is important that your children see a good, healthy unity between parents. When I was 7, my parents divorced. It wasn't pretty, to say the least. In fact, I have blocked many of the memories of that time in my life. My parents couldn't stand each other. They made sure that I, and my siblings, knew it.  I remember becoming physically ill when I was going from my mom's to my dad's and back again. We were put into positions where we felt we had to be loyal to both parents at the same time. In fact, when I was 12, I had my first full-on migraine. I had to choose between living with my mom and living with my dad. It was horrible: I couldn't move - heck, breathing was torture - for a full two days. Growing up with feuding parents has had a negative effect on my adult relationships. it took me a very long time to figure out how to conduct myself!

So, this week's topic is "Partners in Parenting" and I really believe that this is an important one to consider. Head over to it's OK to see what Erin has written about this topic. She gives some great examples of things that you can focus on to help make your relationship more mindful. Then, check back here on Friday (I promise I'll try to get this done on time!) and see how I managed to work on my relationship!


0 comments: